Duodenal Switch is a surgical technique with Biliary Pancreatic Diversion and Vertical Gastrectomy, with preservation of the pylorus.
• There is a minor restriction of food intake.
• These procedures are very effective in relation to weight loss and its long-term maintenance.
• The gastric reservoir is completely accessible to radiological and endoscopic investigation methods.
• More subject to nutritional and metabolic complications, such as deficiencies of fat-soluble vitamins, vitamin B12.
• Bone demineralization; anastomotic mouth ulcer; increased number of daily defecations, with very fetid stool and flatulence.
• The high rate of malnutrition and vitamin deficiency greatly reduced the number of surgeries performed. Nowadays is a technique only indicated in isolated cases of severe diabetic patients.